Baby gates and pet gates have a lot in common. Both of these gates are usually intended to keep little ones, or pets, either inside or outside of an area.
So why should it matter? After all, a safety gate is a safety gate, or is it?
While some safety gates are suitable for both pets and babies, there are baby gates that might not be big, strong, or high enough to contain large breed dogs, and there are pet gates that are not always sufficiently secure for children.
Factors to consider include weight, durability, and height, as well as whether they are freestanding, screwed into the wall, or pressure mounted.
Suitable Materials and Designs for Baby and Pet Gates
Both pet and baby gates are made from a variety of materials, primarily metal and wood, and both may be equally acceptable for either use. While durability may be affected, the design is more important than the material. Also, manufacturers will generally specify the primary use of all their safety gates, for instance, whether it has been designed for use above or below stairs, for indoor or outdoor use, and whether it is a baby or pet gate.
Generally, freestanding pet gates are great for puppies and little dogs, but they aren’t suitable for babies unless there is constant supervision. Pressure mounted gates aren’t recommended for stairs because they can be pushed out of place by children and animals.
In most instances, hardware mounted gates may be suitable for pet or baby safety and protection. This is because they are virtually impossible to push out of position and cannot be climbed over, providing they are high enough.
Baby Gates and Pet Gates from Cardinal Gates
Cardinal Gates has a range of baby gates including those that are hardware-mounted, pressure-mounted, explicitly manufactured for stairs and for outdoor use, as well as expandable baby gates. The selection includes:
- Aluminum gates that are powder-coated to provide a long-lasting surface that is easy to clean. Some, like the MG-15, are suitable for pets and babies. The special SS-30 stairway gate baffles toddlers and is an excellent choice for pets.
- Steel gates that also have a powder-coated finish. The MG-25 is also suitable for both pet and baby safety. The SS-30OD is suitable for pets and babies and is ideal for use at the top of stairs and for use outdoors. The expandable EX100 offers various configurations (C, U, or zigzag) that work equally well for containing babies and pets and keeping them safe indoors.
- Extra-tall pressure gates that are intended for installation to prevent babies from getting into certain areas. These are available with extensions that can span up to 54.5 inches in width. The XTPPG pressure gate is a pet product that features an auto-close and auto-lock mechanism (see below).
- Wooden gates for any indoor area including at the top or bottom of stairs. The WG-35 model is suitable for both pet and child safety. The freestanding 4PG model, available in oak, walnut, or a white-painted finish, is only suitable for animals, as is the SG-1, a step-over gate designed for small breeds and puppies.
- Decorative wrought iron gates that have the same potential use as the WG-35 and may also be used for pet and baby safety. The WI-30 is a popular model. The step-over WISG is a freestanding gate designed for puppies and small breeds that is suitable for kiddie use.
- Gates and panels made from a combination of materials. For instance, the Perfect Fit Pet Gate (PFPG) made from painted wood and steel. Only intended for pets, it features a convenient puppy door.
- A PVC portable pet pen (model PPP) that is both lightweight and weatherproof. It is not suitable for use as a kiddie playpen.
Some gates feature the patented Cardinal Gates’ Auto-Lock Gate feature that allows adults to walk through the gate by merely pulling and twisting the gate to close and lock it. This feature is a boon for baby gates.
Whether you are looking for a gate to keep your pets or children safe, Cardinal Gates has a choice of attractive models that are both durable and easy to install. Contact us today to discuss your needs, or order online.